Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday Lunch Break Post

EDIT 10/21/2014 To everyone clicking on this link because you are looking up how to make angel wings for Halloween: Sorry I'm a dick and didn't do a tutorial for these. They were destroyed by the next day and got tossed so I can't even deconstruct them for you. Here is what I did:

1. Make the angel wing shape with a tab from cardboard. Like below, only better. Then do it again for the other side. You will use the two tabs to connect the wings and reinforce the wings. The big bow is covering that part. I used scraps of cardboard and layered them of the center tab piece to make it really stable.
2. On the top, inside of the wings I cut another piece of cardboard to give in more dimension. It was almost a crescent moon shape. PAINT THEM WHITE, just use craft paint. It might take a couple coats but you cannot skip this step.

"Feathers"

 FOLD a coffee filter in half. CUT in half. (The angle of this picture looks off center but cut it in the center.)


So here is your half.


Fold the half in half. Glue the layers together so they lay all nice and stuff. I just used a swipe of glue stick. Cut it into a feather like shape. Like in the picture.


Now do that a hundred some times, layer the "feathers" and glue them to the wings. I used elastic to make a very simple harness.
Sorry I didn't think to do a tutorial for these when I made them. Ironically, I always cuss out websites that only show the finished product without any info on how to actually do it. Hopefully these pictures help a little.

Addressing the photo in the Father's Day Post: this spring I was invited to a bachelorette party for an awesome friend of mine. Her theme was angel or devil, so they asked that everyone dress like either an angel or a devil. I decided to dress as an angel, you know, like a Victoria's Secret angel....just kidding, but I did choose angel. Soon I discovered those cool looking angel wings are SUPER EXPENSIVE, I am wayy too cheap and wayy too poor to deal with all that. I racked my brain and searched my house for inspiration on how to make a pair of wings. As I fell to my death after tripping over a box full of crap in my "craft room", I caught a glimpse of the pew decorations I made out of coffee filters for my wedding. Light bulb! Coffee filter angel wings!! You may be thinking what the heck is wrong with this chick, (obviously a lot) but I assure you, Martha Stewart better watch out, I'm a crafty b-word. So here is what I came up with:




Tada! Impressive right?! My actual costume was a persona I created called the "Angel of the Morning.....After" Annnnnd here is a super cute picture of that:



Oh and I am also an ordained reverend (that's another story) and when the bride-to-be was feeling a little heat fatigued I preformed an exorcism to heal her, southern baptist style:

It worked! Anyways that's my explanation for that awesome Father's Day post picture :)








6 comments:

  1. What approximate size did you make the wings? Need to make some for baby shower decorations. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I made ended up being about 15 inches wide a piece and 3 ft tall. They were very big so I could wear them, I'm 5'10. You can make them any size you like.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I was trying to get a gauge... mine will be smaller. I like your design the best of any I've seen. :) THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I'm glad to hear you like them :)

      Delete