Thursday, September 6, 2012

Insignificant yet life altering traumas

I am not going to lie, now that I have a small audience actually reading my little stories I've gotten a little nervous and have been having a hard time thinking of things to write about. I started to think maybe my life isn't worth sharing, all of a sudden I had a flashback to an incident I call the "Talk block".

Let me elaborate. First some fun facts, I work at a library desk, therefore it doesn't take long for me to recognize and learn people's faces and name, sometimes people are impressed by this skill, others get a little creeped out. I promise I'm not weird, if you come into an establishment once a week for years the people who work there are going to begin to recognize you. Anyways, I have work there for 4 years, so needless to say I have my share of patrons who I am used to interacting with. Well one day I was working at the check out desk when a regular comes up to check out. I was friendly and said Hello! and we began a brief conversation. I won't go into details but it was one of those conversations where you kind of go back forth with personal quips on the same topic. Like "Great weather we're having! I'm hoping to get to the pool sometime!" and the other person is all "I just got back from there, Timmy had fun but he stubbed his toe" and then you say something like "Oh man, I did that the other day! It hurt so bad I punched a hole in a tree" you know, something along those lines.

So we are having this conversation, I'm finishing scanning their books, and they start looking at their cell phone, as I'm telling my stupid little tidbit to prove that "hey we can relate!" Well before I have the chances to finish what I was saying they kind of cut me off by answering their phone (which I never heard ring) grab their books and start walking away and kind of mouth "bye" I realize the screen of the phone is facing outwards. There is no phone call!!! I'm like seriously?! Fake out phone call? I mean who hasn't seen a tv show where someone does the fake phone call and then the phone actually starts to ring? Am I that horribly annoying that you are going to chance getting busted pulling a fake phone call rather than have to spend another second small talking with me?! It really made me question the quality of my small talk, are my stories not relatable? Is my life no longer worthy of sharing? Then I thought to myself OF COURSE my life is worth sharing! Why do I even ask these questions!?! Who in their right mind wouldn't want to listen to my rants and crazy talk?! Pssshhh..not my problem that person was jealous of my sweet library gig and hot body. Haters gonna hate I guess! So after reassuring myself that I was cool enough to blog, I did what any adult would do after getting dissed by a middle aged book lover, and ran to the bathroom to cry. After about 20 minutes, my co-workers started knocking on the door asking if I was OK, I got all flustered and yelled "I'M POOPING!" Long story short, at our next staff meeting we talked about what is and isn't appropriate work talk. Ok I made that part up, girls don't poop.

The moral of the story is: Be nice to people, it won't kill you, and never, ever fake out phone call someone, especially if they have access to your food or library card.

No comments:

Post a Comment