Thursday, September 20, 2012

Growing Up Badass

If you ask my mom what I was like when I was younger, she will probably tell you I was horrible. Which I was, I was defiant, rude and had no respect for authority. I took a poll on Facebook asking people I went to high school with to give me their honest opinion of what I was like back in the day. Well, out of the like 50 high school classmates have on my friends list only 5 replied (which tells you something right away). The wonderful people who did reply seemed like they were truthful but in a nice way. The consensus seemed to be funny, outgoing, random and didn't care what anyone thought of you.  My best friend, from middle school until present day, had one of the best lines, she said "Also you never worried about be popular, people who liked you liked you BC you were Rachel and anyone who didn't sure was missing out :)" It's true, I didn't care about being popular or fitting in, why? Because I knew I wasn't going to no matter how hard I tried, I'm just too much my own person. I like the things I like, I feel the way I feel and that's that.
The definition of defiance is a daring or bold resistance to authority or to any opposing force. Not to be confused with a non-conformist, those people are just annoying. My choices to go against the grain were not an anarchist approach, mine were more of a personality trait. Along with my sometimes competitive nature, I believe I was defiant just because that was the way I was made. I don't think people should feel like they need to act a certain way, embrace your differences. If I want to wear a crazy outfit to school one day, I will and I did. Now that I am older, I am still all those things only in a neater package. I'm a sophisticated defiant now!
Unfortunately, even though I turned out awesome, many people (like those people I went to high school with) might still see me for the way I was. Which isn't surprising, I tend to leave an impression on people, but the sucky part is people probably take that into consideration when our paths cross. Like with this blog, I have a feeling some people might not read it (or if they do read it they can't enjoy it) because of their opinion of me. Which to that I say, sucks to be you! I'm got-damn hilarious, bitches.                 
**MOVING ON!**

If I could go back in time, I would give myself some advice, here it is!

You are freaking hilarious, don't let anyone stifle that but work on being more appropriate. The only person it is ok to make fun of is yourself. Just because people aren't laughing on the outside, doesn't mean they aren't laughing on the inside. If you're in front of a group and no one's laughing at your joke, just say something completely and ridiculously random and shuffle off to buffalo dance away from the situation.

Always be outgoing, no matter where it takes you in life. It's never bad to want to try things. The day you decide you can't do something is the day you die inside, not let that happen. You really can do anything you want in this life but you're going to have to work for it. No one is going to do it for you, seek out people to help you along the way, ask for their advice and listen to them damnit. You don't know everything! Life isn't fair, you might not be handed the same opportunities as some of your peers but if you want them, go get them.

Respect authority but question it too, not to start trouble but because even though that person is in charge, they might not be right. Eventually you will have a job, several of them over your life, and there are going to be time where someone dumber than you is going to be giving the orders. Deal with it, keep working hard, improving things as you do them and eventually it will pay off. Speak your mind, in a nice way.

Don't ever let anyone push you around but instead of going all fist to cuffs, change their perspective. If that doesn't work.. ARM BAR MOTHER F-ER! Not really, don't be a bully.

Quit being so freaking angry all the time, quit worrying about your weight, believe me, you're going to get a lot fatter. Get better grades, quit talking to your mom the way you do, stay home once in a while and enjoy your family, talk to your great grandma more, once again why are you so angry?! Don't rely on other people to tell you to do the right thing, just do it.

And the last thing I would tell myself is, "Hey look over there!" and proceed to beat the crap out of myself. Because I deserved it.

In closing, my fine feathered friends, the great thing about being a human is we are constantly changing and evolving. I'm not the same person I used to be, I have changed and I've become a better person and I'm going to continue to change until the day I die. Even after I die, I'll keep changing, not into a mess of gooey rotting flesh or dehydrated Rachel corpse. No, I'm getting cremated, I fully intend to rise from the ashes like a majestic Phoenix at my own funeral! It will be awesome, you should totally come! Ok off topic.
It's not fair to judge someone by how they acted 15, 10 even 5 years ago, so much can happen in that amount of time, it's really incredible. So read my blog, laugh at it and treat each encounter with someone from your past as a new beginning. Besides we are all going to die some day, enjoy the short time you have while you're here!

In the words of the great and powerful Urshur.. Peace up, A-town down.

No comments:

Post a Comment