Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Yay! My Birthday Week!

It's my birthday on Friday! I'll be the big 2-6! Woohoo! 26 is still considered pretty young so I'm not to that point where people start dreading their birthdays. I don't think I'll ever not be excited when it gets close to my birthday, it's the one day a year where the whole day is about celebrating the fact you were born. I literally did not have to do ANYTHING, yet every year I get presents and phone calls and Facebook messages from people who are glad I exist! That's awesome! I'm not sure why my mom doesn't get any presents on my birthday, I mean she was the one who had to do all the work, I just came flying out like "HEYYYY Y'ALLLL!" (birth to age 3 was my Dolly Parton stage) and everyone was so happy to see me!

Anyways, 26! I guess I never thought about what my life would be like at 26, life could have taken me all sorts of places, I could be travelling the world, living in NYC trying to make it big, sitting on a sidewalk somewhere homeless and hungry, still living in my mom's basement, who knows! But in all the scenarios, there is one thing I never expected of my 26 year old self. Something that I figured wouldn't happen for a very long time, and I didn't think I'd come to accept. It is....the swim dress! DUN DUN DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNN!


It's a swimsuit, that's a dress! Swim dress!

Sure, it has to do more about my big girl status than my age but I think the fact that I'm about to be 26 helped me with accepting the fact that sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do, but things will be ok. Was it my intention to walk into Kohl's on Saturday and buy a swim dress? Heck no, I just wanted to find a swimsuit that would keep everything in its place with as little chance of a wardrobe malfunction as possible. Even when my sister peer pressured me into taking a swim dress into the dressing room I had no intention of buying it, I was just going to try it on, laugh at how dumb I look and leave the store just as depressed and angry as I have in the past. No, I try the dumb thing on and I'm like "Oh, ok, I guess it doesn't look horrible. And everything seems secure, hmm, it is pretty comfortable. *sigh* Damn it.." So I waddle out of the dressing room to show Rob, I have to say it was the first time I think I have ever come out of a dressing room in any type of swimwear and didn't feel like a complete idiot. Of course he thinks it looks nice and fits me well. Crap. But then I check the price..$57.40?! And that's 40% off the original price. There is no way I am paying over $50 for a swim dress. I show Rob and he just shrugs, "It's gonna cost just as much if you buy the separate top and bottoms." Me- *Eye twitch* Why must he be such a math genius? So I throw the thing in the cart and we go to check out, I end up getting an extra 15% off, which is cool I guess, but it doesn't make me feel much better about the fact I kinda look like I raided the locker room after a water aerobics class. When we get home I launch the bag onto the couch and contemplate taking the thing back in the morning and trying to find something at a different store. But then I remember that I'm super lazy and that sounds like an awful lot of work to be doing on Sunday. And then I remember we are having pizza for dinner and forget about everything and spend the rest of the night watching TV with Rob and the dogs.  

The Next Day



By the time we finished our Sunday ritual of grocery shopping and got back home, it was sweltering out so I gave in, put on the swim dress and headed out to the pool in the backyard. (We've nick-named it Tranquility Bay.) With the exception of the five times Ellie, my 4 year old niece, yelled at me that I was getting my new dress wet, nothing too traumatic happened while I donned my new swimwear for all the world to see. I was able to relax, cool down in the pool and I didn't have to scramble for my towel to cover myself when I got out, like I usual do. I felt completely fine walking around the backyard in all my swim dress glory. So the moral of the story is, sometimes a dress is just a dress but other times it's a swim dress. Oh and appreciate your mother, not only for giving you a birthday but for forcing you to try on all those articles of clothing that you did not want to try on and not leaving you in the store when you throw a huge fit because you hated doing it. My kids won't be so lucky, I will leave their ungrateful butts in that Target dressing room, go home and burn every piece of clothing they own. That will teach them to embarrass me in public. Brats. Until next time!


By the time we finished our Sunday grocery shopping and got back home, it was sweltering out so I gave in put on the swim dress and headed out to the pool in the backyard we've nick-named, Tranquility Bay. With the exception of the couple times Ellie, my 4 year old niece, yelled at me I was getting my new dress wet the day went on as normal, I was able to cool down in the pool and I didn't have to scramble for my towel to cover myself when I got out, like I usual do. So considering everything I decided to accept the swim dress, maybe I can play it of as one of those vintage style suits

No comments:

Post a Comment