Sunday, August 3, 2014

What I learned at my 10 year high school reunion

Welp. Last night my husband and I attended my 10 year high school reunion. I forewarned him plenty of times that I only had about two friends in high school, today he told me he now knows why that was, I'm a rude, loud-mouth bitch. Yeah, we know. I've never claimed to anything else. Ok it actually wasn't THAT bad but I am loud and obnoxious. I do want to point out, some of it is definitely a defense mechanism, when I go out any other time I am friendly to everyone and we have a lot of fun meeting new people. There is just something about being put back in that high school situation, not being talked to that made shit weird last night. Old habits die hard, I guess. That being said, this is what I learned:

1. Don't expect things to be any different than how you left them. In my case, I was a transplant in 7th grade. I didn't grow up with these people, none of us were best friends in elementary school, grew apart in middle school and got to reminisce about the old days when we had sleepovers and pool parties. I'm not going to pretend no one talked to me, we had a pretty nice sized group all night. But I definitely didn't get talked to by the majority of people. I also didn't attempt to talk to any of them, honestly I don't know how they wouldn't know who I was but I didn't want to take the chance of saying hi to someone just for them to look confused and awkwardly turn away.

2. Don't expect people to be nice talk to you just because it's been 10 years. I think my favorite/most devastating part of the night was when I stopped to talk to a girl I know and everyone else in her group immediately walked away from us. It was funny because I felt like I was in some teen movie and was sure later on I would have a shining moment of redemption with Zach Efron (This did not happen). On the other hand, it did make me feel like an idiot. I held on to hope thinking maybe I just had bad b.o. or something but later on when my friend was talking to some of the same people, I got shut out again. I guess some people just don't want to talk to me. Which is fine, I don't expect everyone to be my buddy. So I wandered into another group that I didn't fit in with that well, so then I latched on to a friend's husband and probably really creeped him out. I'm just too god damn socially inept for this shit.

3. Cliques don't die. Safety in numbers, I get it. It's bad enough you are going to your 10 year reunion, why wouldn't you hang out with the same people you did in school. I was very impressed with a couple people who walked around mingling. Good for you, you have balls! I sat at my table, only getting up to go to the bathroom, get a refill or run away to the patio where it was dark. Like an opossum. Hiss.

4. No one really cares about what you've been up to. Unless it was actually someone you hung out with in school and they already know about your life because Facebook. Not at one point did I need to tell anyone about anything, because I over share on social media and my blog. I make stalking me easy, I basically force it onto people.

And the most important thing I learned is #5. The last 10 years of my life have been great. I have done so many amazing things, met some amazingly wonderful people, I have made awesome friends that I care DEEPLY about. I look back at who I was in high school and can't believe how much I have changed. I've accomplished a lot and I'm proud of myself. It hasn't been easy, there have been plenty of rough patches but I got through them with help from my friends and family. I woke up sad today, feeling that I was put back in my place last night but you know what, I fucking like my place. My place is the shit, there should be like a bouncer to get in here. VIP and all that. Bottle service. I don't need other people to tell my what I'm worth, I look at my life, at my friends and I know I'm golden.

That was lame. But I meant it :) Later gator.

No comments:

Post a Comment