Friday, August 28, 2015

Book Reviews For Honest People: Attachments

I just, literally JUST, (two months ago) finished this book Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. It was actually quite good, for what I would consider an easy read.  The reason why I felt I NEEDED to blog about it is because I had an epiphany just as I finished it.
Ok, so there are two story lines happening throughout this book, it goes back and forth between each one which is the type of style I LOVE. It's what I would kind of call a rom-com/chick lit which I'm not usually into, or allowed to be into. As it was said in our pre-marriage counseling session AND I QUOTE, "She has an unrealistic standard of what a relationship is.." - Rob "Always be hatin" Lavender. Whatever, so maybe I would like for my life to play out like a romantic comedy, sue me.

Regardless, one story line follows Lincoln, the man character who sounds like a huge nerd and works in IT for a newspaper, but more like a "technology security" type position. The second story line follows two ladies who work for the same newspaper and all of their story is written in an emailing each other format, Beth and Jennifer. So Lincoln gets this job and a part of it is anytime an email gets flagged due to trigger words like sex, secret, etc. it goes to a folder and he has to check it and if it is inappropriate or personal, he has to send them a warning to stop. He starts reading these interactions between Beth and Jennifer, which are all personal emails between friends and decides not to send them any warnings because he thinks they are nice people and whatever. Well he keeps reading their flagged emails and learns all this personal stuff about them and starts to really like Beth even though she has a boyfriend. Keep in mind, he is reading their personal emails to each other. At one point he even goes up and is creeping around Beth's desk and going to her boyfriend's shows (he is a musician).

All this very, VERY sketchy behavior but just as the reader starts to think "uhhhhhhhhhh......this Lincoln guy is a freaking weirdo stalker" we find out that actually even though he still lives with his mom, works in IT, plays Dungeons and Dragons when he isn't just staying home being a loner, Lincoln is apparently smokin' hot and all big and muscular, testosterone pumping through him with his chiseled jaw and devastatingly good looks. Like magic, he goes from complete psycho to "OMG, like it's totally ok that he is totally invading their privacy and whatever. *Sigh* I bet he has a great ass. Oh! He just joined the gym. <insert impure thoughts of beads of sweat slowly dripping down Lincoln's perfectly formed body. Flowing down the ripple of his 6 pack and melting into the waistband of this tight, red boxer briefs.> (This is actually a very tame book, I just added all the pervy parts in my own mind because I'm deviant like that...)

Why? Why is this beardo behavior suddenly acceptable just because we find out this character is a modern day Adonis? Because when it comes down to it we are all shallow assholes and (most of the time) it's is easier to forgive bad behavior if the person is good looking. Shame on you, society. Ya'll need to strip down and get to steppin. SHAME..SHAME..SHAME..*rings bell*

No comments:

Post a Comment